Tuesday 12 June 2012

Toothbrush Pen


 I grabbed my toothbrush,
thinking it was a pen.
It's a funny adult thing,
carrying a toothbrush
though everyday life.
While the trees go on,
playing shadow puppets on the ground
and little shadow leaves,
ride bigger shadow branches,
into battle.

And under this cool winter siege,
I remember being young
and thinking about the freedom
of dirty teeth.
The freedom when,
I could run my little tongue all day 
along their grubby veneer,
and nobody cared.

All that freedom.
And no one 
to tell me what to do with it.

Now I am an adult
and I carry my toothbrush,
back and forth,
back and forth,
to a job
that nobody cares
if I show up to.
Down a road
nobody cares,
if I take. 

And on I go,
rubbing my tongue
against the worlds grubby indifference,
and wondering;

 is this what freedom feels like? 

Everywhere to go,
everything to do
and all the knowledge 
of its crushing irrelevancy.

You do and you don't.
It comes and it goes.
Nothing but,
fluttering little morsels of passion
to lead me down
another dead end;

with a toothbrush for a pen.




No comments:

Post a Comment